Categories
Posts

Starting Small; Growing Big (no pun)

Finish small tasks, Accomplish big goals

My actual “big goal” has changed over the last couple of years. Initially I wanted to become an IT consultant — focused primarily on hardware and software related matter. Work for any tech firm and provide support to clients, while also (if possible) get more hands-on experience as a network specialist. However, as we all know — internships are extremely crucial in order to gain real-world experience. Unfortunately, that didn’t really go according to plan as internships in the tech field is like a wasteland (in NY at least). The most helpful tech-internship I ever got was as CUNY-QCC’s lab tech support. This is where I was in charge of installing networking equipments such as routers, switches, and creating Ethernet cables, to installation and calibration of Oscilloscopes.

After successfully completing the internship program and graduating from QCC with associates, my internship came to an end. I was looking for more internships outside of CUNY (as professor Smith suggested) for about a year before even taking CT 399, but to no avail. Hence, my switch to now more Business Administrative roles is the future. Pretty much every successful apprenticeship I’ve had was in the field of management, including the upcoming Business and Financial Specialist role at a Fortune 100 company.

I don’t find this to be surprising anymore, considering the fact that NYC (I reside within Uptown Manhattan) is the pinnacle of Business Administration among Banks, Insurance, and Stock Companies. Therefore, my projects are based on human resource management, marketing, and public relations  — widely regarded as; the three pillars of business administration. For this course, I’ll only focus on marketing for now — until I begin my apprenticeship program next year. Extensive research and development regarding marketing will serve as one of the “small tasks” leading toward “big goals”.

This week’s discussion helped me realize some of the smaller steps I’ll be taking to achieve my biggest goal, through all the research I had done and feedbacks I received from classmates and prof. Smith. Thank you for your support professor Smith, Jahi & AnnaBanana! 

🍌